Jailbreaking Firmware 2.2.1 or 2.2 iphone 1st Gen & 3g-Using Windows
UPGADING TO 2.2.1?
THE FOLLOWING GUIDE WORKS WITH 2.2.1 UPGRADE!
Although the guide sometimes only mentions 2.2 it WILL work with 2.2.1!
IF YOU ARE NOT UPGRADING AND SIMPLY WANT TO JAILBREAK THEN GO STRAIGHT TO THE “Jailbreak iPhone using QuickPwn” SECTION BELOW!!!!!!
Righto, I’m gonna take you through jailbraking the iphone firmware 2.2.1 or 2.2 this works for both the 1st gen iphone(unlock as well) and the new 3g version(see this post to unlock 3g).
Huge ‘ups’ and ‘mad props’ (I’m sooo white! hehheh) to the dev team for their unfailing work with all this jailbreaking and unlocking stuff!
So why you ask do I want to Jailbreak my iphone? So you can install those wonderful apps like MXtube,Swirly MMS, iphonemodem,Hood and much more, that Apple says ‘no way’ to! Don’t worry your iphone won’t explode or anything!
I am only going to show you the windows version because I have used it about 20 times and its been successful 100% of the time.
Thanks to www.iclarified.com for the guide.
There is a Mac version which both myself and and a mate have tried without success, so better the devil you know!
But if you don’t know someone with a PC ,and are desperate to try the Mac version, then follow this guide.
Remember, DON’T FREAK! Everything you do can be reversed, I have never bricked an iphone yet! Just read carefully, take your time and have fun!
Ok, the first thing you need to do is download the firmware file of your choice, you can go straight to 2.2.1 or 2.2 if you haven’t downloaded already from itunes.
Update your iPhone 3G to iPhone Firmware 2.2:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes and select your iPhone.
- Hold the SHIFT key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw file for firmware 2.2 that you have downloaded earlier and click “Open”.
- iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.2 which takes sometime, please wait for the process to complete.
Once your iPhone is updated to iPhone firmware 2.2, you are ready to use the QuickPwn tool to jailbreak it.
Jailbreak iPhone using QuickPwn:
- Launch QuickPwn from the unzipped folder to start jailbreaking your iPhone .
- Please ensure that your iPhone is connected to your computer. QuickPwn will automatically detect it and enable the blue arrow button, click it to continue.
- In the next screen, click browse and select the iPhone firmware 2.2 that you had downloaded earlier and click Open.
4.QuickPwn will check if the firmware file selected is the same as the one installed on your iPhone , if valid it will enable the blue arrow button, click it to continue.
5.In the next screen, you will be prompted to install Cydia, Installer (both are preselected) and if you would like to Replace the Boot Logos, and finally if you have a 1st gen phone, unlock phone.Install both Cydia and Installer as you will need it to install Dev team’s unlock yellowsn0w application if you have a 3g phone and also to install jailbreak apps. I always select unlock as well, just seems to work for me!
6. Ok this next step is for 1st gen iphone owners only, browse to where you have stored the bl39 & bl45 bin files and select .If you have a 3g iphone and want to unlock,check this post.
QuickPwn will again prompt you to ensure that your iPhone is connected to your computer via USB, click the blue arrow button to continue.
Source: iClarified and Ants!
Hopefully all is well and you are enjoying your new 2.2 iphone!