Jailbreaking Firmware 2.2.1 or 2.2 iphone 1st Gen & 3g-Using MAC
UPGADING TO 2.2.1
THE FOLLOWING GUIDE WORKS WITH 2.2.1 UPGRADE
Although the guide sometimes only mentions 2.2 it WILL work with 2.2.1!
IF YOU ARE NOT UPGRADING AND SIMPLY WANT TO JAILBREAK THEN GO STRAIGHT TO THE ”Jailbreak iPhone using QuickPwn” SECTION BELOW!!!!!!
Righto, I’m gonna take you through jailbraking the iphone firmware 2.2.1 or 2.2 this works for both the 1st gen iphone(unlock as well) and the new 3g version(see this post to unlock 3g).
This guide is for MAC users WINDOWS USERS FOLLOW THIS GUIDE.
Thanks to www.iclarified.com for the guide.
Huge ‘ups’ and ‘mad props’ (I’m sooo white! hehheh) to the dev team for their unfailing work with all this jailbreaking and unlocking stuff!
So why you ask do I want to Jailbreak my iphone? So you can install those wonderful apps like MXtube,Swirly MMS, iphonemodem,Hood and much more, that Apple says ‘no way’ to! Don’t worry your iphone won’t explode or anything!
Remember, DON’T FREAK! Everything you do can be reversed, I have never bricked an iphone yet! Just read carefully, take your time and have fun!
Ok, the first thing you need to do is download the firmware file of your choice, you can go straight to 2.2.1 or 2.2 if you haven’t downloaded already from itunes.
- Connect your iPhone 3G to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes and select your iPhone.
- Hold the OPTION key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw file for firmware 2.2.1 that you have downloaded in step 1 and click “Open”.
- iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.2.1 which takes sometime, please wait for the process to complete.
Once your iPhone 3G is updated to iPhone firmware 2.2.1, you are ready to use the QuickPwn tool to jailbreak it.
Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn:
- Launch QuickPwn to start jailbreaking your iPhone 3G.
- Click Ok to accept the copyright notice.
- You will then be prompted to connect your iPhone 3G to the computer, click the OK button once its connected.
- QuickPwn will automatically detect your iPhone 3G.
- QuickPwn will now automatically search for the latest firmware for your iPhone 3G.
- You will be then be asked if you would like to replace the original boot and recovery logos on your iPhone. You can either select Yes or No to continue.
- QuickPwn will then build the custom iPhone firmware for your iPhone 3G.
- You will be then be prompted to enter your administrator username and password. Enter it and then click OK to continue.
- QuickPwn will put your iPhone into DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade mode). It will prompt you to turn off your iPhone 3G.
- Then you will be prompted to hold both the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Finally, you will prompted to release the Power button while you continue holding down the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- If successful, you should see the message below where QuickPwn starts sending information to your iPhone 3G to jailbreak it and will be notified that QuickPwn is modifying your iPhone 3G. This step will take sometime and will result in your iPhone getting rebooted. Please don’t interrupt the process.
- After your iPhone 3G reboots, it will be jailbroken and will have Cydia and Installer apps installed and visible on your iPhone’s home screen.
Saaaaaaweeeet all done!